OsmoBTS after NITB split

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Fri Sep 8 23:04:44 UTC 2017

On Fri, Sep 08, 2017 at 01:11:18PM +0200, Max wrote:
> On 07.09.2017 21:04, Harald Welte wrote:
> > But then, I guess we have more important work than to refactor something that has
> > worked for more than 5 years :/
>
> Just to make sure we won't forget the details in 5 years I've created
> https://osmocom.org/issues/2508.
>

> > I think it could be done at any time, osmo-bsc.git is ready.
>
> Unfortunately not. The OsmoBSC headers were renamed to ".../bsc/gsm_data_shared.h"
> while OsmoBTS explicitly requires "openbsc/gsm_data_shared.h". So it's impossible to
> build OsmoBTS against OsmoBSC ATM.

The idea is to not depend on any header file outside of the osmo-bts.git tree.
On my mental todo list: copy gsm_data_shared.* to osmo-bts.git and discard all
dep on external .h/.c files. In a second pass take a look at data structures
and functions, and drop anything not used by osmo-bts.
But would welcome help there indeed.

> I'm somewhat reluctant to just copy "gsm_data_shared.h" to OsmoBTS as it might
> introduce all sorts of problems when OpenBSC and OsmoBSC diverge but it might be an
> option too.

openbsc.git and osmo-bsc.git by definition will diverge. openbsc.git is
becoming legacy as we speak and should not be a reason to hold back anything
happening on osmo-bsc.git.

osmo-bts.git and osmo-bsc.git are independent entities that have to comply to
Abis to talk to each other. No way really for mere mismatching data structures
to cause havoc when the Abis messages are handled properly, is there?

The move plans of gsm_data_shared to libosmocore.git look nice, but I agree to
just copy for now.

(The same kind of copy has happened for various bits between osmo-msc and
osmo-bsc, and the second pass to drop unnecessary stuff and move dup up the
dependency tree is still pending / ongoing.)

Max, do you have time to take on osmo-bts.git and make it independent from
openbsc.git and osmo-bsc.git? Let me know, otherwise I have to take this on as
well. Thanks!

~N