GAPK status update

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Fri Sep 8 13:16:34 UTC 2017

Hi Vadim,

On Fri, Sep 08, 2017 at 03:30:05PM +0300, Vadim Yanitskiy wrote:
> Having these projects in my mind, I have got an idea of
> creating a shared library from the GAPK source code. And,
> a few days ago I was managed to get the audio playback
> working in OsmocomBB. I hope, this library will be also
> usable for other projects.

I like this very much. Actually, this could even be used by
something like the new osmo-mgw to have more or less generic transcoding
capabilities for gsm-related codecs as well as PCM / G.711.

comments:
* the new introduced memory allocation could have been done via talloc,
  but since it's just for the non-standard benchmarking case, calloc is
  ok.
* it would be nice to convert all allocations to talloc, like in other
  osmo-* code.  This facilitates memory leak debugging.
* rather than listing all symbols individually, you can also simply
  export osmo_gapk_* with a wilcard.  All non-exported symbols then
  have to avoid that prefix.  I prefer this to long lists of symbols
  that you often forget to update when adding new functions
* assuming you have multiple processing queues in a program in the
  future, each queue should have a user-settable identifier which is
  then used as a prefix in all the logging.

Finally, as a personal wishlist item, I would love to see some unit
tests that create a couple of processing queues, destroy them, check
if the resulting encode/decodes is what was expected, and [if possible?]
even check if allocated memory has been properly cleaned up during
destruction of the processing queue.

Let's see what Sylvain has to say about all of this, it's his creation
after all :)