virtphy and MT SMS

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Fri Sep 8 13:05:59 UTC 2017

Hi Keith,

On Fri, Sep 08, 2017 at 01:27:59PM +0200, Keith Whyte wrote:
> I just installed and configured osmo-bts-virtual and osmocom-bb with
> virtphy.
>
> Let me say - this is brilliant! It's so easy to do such things as
> trigger IMSI Attach and Detach - so much easier than entering and
> exiting airplane mode or power off/on.

Thanks for the praise.  There is of course he limitation that we're testing
Osmocom code with Osmocom code, so a mistake in libosmocore will not break
any such test.  So real hardware is still needed for interoperability and
for thesting PHY/hardware/radio related bits.

> Now, one thing that is failing badly for me right "out-of-the-box" is MT
> SMS.

I haven't tried it.  My first question would be: Does it work with a real
phone and the OsmocomBB layer1 + real BTS?  If yes, then something in virt-phy
or osmo-bts-virtual would be broken.  If it doesn't work there either, then
it seems more like an OsmocomBB layer23/mobile problem.

I'd be very interested in some kind of scripting language bindings for OsmocomBB
so we can run dozens, hundreds or even thousands of OsmocomBB 'mobile' programs
runnung concurrently and control them via scripts to perform certain actions,
such as:
* disable (triggers imsi detach + "shutdown")
* enamble (triggers cell selection + LU (imsi attach)"
* manually trigger periodic LU ("time warp")
* mo-sms
* mt-sms
* ussd
* voice call related actions (at least signaling, for actual voice we first need to extend GSMTAP)

In case anyone would be interested in working on this, I'd be very happy
to hear about it.  As lua is light-weight and embeddable, it might be an
idea to include lua in osmocombb.  Given that we may want to run
thousands of instances, having somehing light-weight would be a good
idea.

The other idea would be to introduce some kind of rpc/api instead of
script language bindings.  That API could then be used by some kind of
controller (which could be a script, e.g. python), and we wouldn't need
as many controller instances as we'd need osmocom-bb 'mobile' instances.