OsmoBTS after NITB split

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Thu Sep 7 19:04:50 UTC 2017

On Thu, Sep 07, 2017 at 07:02:21PM +0200, Max wrote:
> Hi.
>
> The OsmoBTS build depends (unfortunately) on OpenBSC because it uses
> gsm_data_shared.h header.

I think we should give up on the shared header and just have two copies, each with what's
needed on either side.  It looked like a good idea at the time when we started out
creating OsmoBTS under a lot of time pressure after writing OpenBSC/OsmoNITB.

I think we should clean it up as follows:
* generic definitionns about coding schemes, value_strings for pchan_types etc
  can go straight into libosmogsm
* the core data model (struct gsm_{bts,trx,ts}, gsm_lchan, ...) should go into
  a new libosmo-bss which is part of libosmocore.git
* those data structures in libosmo-bss are reduced to only contain the common
  parts that are not bts/bsc specific, and a *priv or *role, which is then
  allocated and filled-in with program (bts/bsc) specific data/struct

But then, I guess we have more important work than to refactor something that has
worked for more than 5 years :/

btw: I don't think osmo-msc needs to use gsn_data_shared at all, at
least conceptually it shouldn't have any need to?

> Also, when would be the right time to move OsmoBTS' jenkins job to use one of the
> split repos instead of old OpenBSC?

I think it could be done at any time, osmo-bsc.git is ready.