RFC: Getting rid of FreeBSD build testing

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Tue Sep 5 21:54:17 UTC 2017

Hi Neels,

On Tue, Sep 05, 2017 at 11:42:36PM +0200, Neels Hofmeyr wrote:
> Me personally, I once spent a few minutes extra on a FreeBSD build, a long time
> ago.

lucky you.

> On the other hand, most of the time my patches aren't tested on FreeBSD:
> particularly openbsc.git as well as the new repositories haven't been tested
> (for gerrit +V) on FreeBSD for a long time.

Ah, ok, I missed that.

> Given involvement by some friends of mine I'd actually be more interested in
> OpenBSD than FreeBSD ... but that's beside the point :)

Well, as indicated we'd be more than happy to merge related patches, but
I just have doubts whether it's efficient use of our time to actively (build)
test the code on other platforms.

Also, if somebody wants to maintain this, we could keep a separate e.g. nightly
jenkins job around and then generate build failure notifications to whoever in
the community who wants to maintain the (sup)port for other platforms.