cgit.osmocom.org was down / ezjail disk quota managed by zfs

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sun Sep 3 18:41:39 UTC 2017

Today the cgit jail quota again was exceeded and we saw 504 http errors
when accessing http://git.osmocom.org/

The reason was indeed that the cache grew to fill the entire 5GB quota.

I checked what kind of files were occupying that much cache: Unfortunately
more than 150 files each larger than 10MBytes as a result of cgit caching
the .tar.gz snapshots it creates.

Unfortunately the cgit cache can only be restricted in number of files, not
in terms of total size or "don't cache files larger than X".

As a workaround I disabled snapshot generation for now.  I presume there
was some crawler that generated snapshots for lots of commits.