cgit.osmocom.org was down / ezjail disk quota managed by zfs

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sat Sep 2 08:03:24 UTC 2017

Hi Neels,

thanks for looking into this.

On Sat, Sep 02, 2017 at 03:14:33AM +0200, Neels Hofmeyr wrote:
> Just now I only got long waits and then "502 Bad Gateway" on
> git.osmocom.org ... the cgit ezjail hit its root partition limit.  I had to
> re-figure out what I did last time, tried to find ezjail-admin options until
> finally I ended up back in zfs and started remembering... I increased the zfs
> quota for the cgit jail from 10G to 15G. Now it's working again.

the question is why does it need that much quota?  Right now I can see
that it only uses only 2.1GB on disk:

root at cgit:/ # df -h
Filesystem         Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
tank/jails/cgit    8.4G    2.1G    6.3G    25%    /

Did you (or somebody else) clear the cgit cache (it's currently 1.8GB)?
The cache is limited in number of files (10k), not in size of those
files by (cgitrc 'cache-size' attribute).

What has grown beyond that existing 10GB limit?

> For the record, resizing an ezjail goes like
> # zfs list
> # zfs get quota tank/jails/cgit
> # zfs set quota=15G tank/jails/cgit
> (so next time I can find it in my mail archive, and I guess it should go in a
> wiki somewhere. On osmocom.org?)

sure, that's why we have the http://osmocom.org/projects/osmocom-servers
redmine for, I guess.

> Last time it was the jenkins jail hitting disc limits. Then I said
> "We should probably set a refquota so that the live file system's quota is
> somewhat independent from the quota used for snapshots."

when are snapshots used?