cgit.osmocom.org was down / ezjail disk quota managed by zfs

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Sat Sep 2 01:14:33 UTC 2017

Just now I only got long waits and then "502 Bad Gateway" on
git.osmocom.org ... the cgit ezjail hit its root partition limit.  I had to
re-figure out what I did last time, tried to find ezjail-admin options until
finally I ended up back in zfs and started remembering... I increased the zfs
quota for the cgit jail from 10G to 15G. Now it's working again.

For the record, resizing an ezjail goes like
# zfs list
# zfs get quota tank/jails/cgit
# zfs set quota=15G tank/jails/cgit
(so next time I can find it in my mail archive, and I guess it should go in a
wiki somewhere. On osmocom.org?)

Last time it was the jenkins jail hitting disc limits. Then I said
"We should probably set a refquota so that the live file system's quota is
somewhat independent from the quota used for snapshots."
I see the jenkins jail now has a 40G refquota, but the others seem not to.
How does it work, set a huge quota to allow space for snapshots, and limit the
fs itself by a refquota?

~N