OsmoNITB Migration Guide

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Mon Oct 30 17:51:52 UTC 2017

On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 07:44:29PM +0400, Alexander Chemeris wrote:
> Hi Neels,
>
> I was reading the subj and I have a couple questions:
>
> > Note that not all information is copied to the hlr.db, just IMSI and 2G auth tokens.
>
> Are at least extension values migrated as well? Could you explicitly
> list what is not migrated?

Ah, I think I forgot to mention MSISDN, it is also migrated.

> Maybe just list exact list of values migrated to make sure there is no
> confusion by users?

There's two sides to that, each description of what is migrated is likely to
become outdated whenever we change what is being migrated...
Maybe we should point to some osmo-hlr-db-tool cmdline help instead.

But yes.

> Is '#' a valid comment for Osmocom files? I always saw ';' used instead.

both # and ; work -- I found out while hacking VTY code recently ;)

> Not sure if you have time for that, but what would be really helpful
> is a table with all OsmoNITB, OsmoBSC and OsmoMSC configuration values
> listed and three columns showing where the value belongs. That would
> make it much easier to users to migrate and (I would expect) reduce
> the number of questions on the mailing list. Something like this:
>
> Configuration value                      OsmoNITB     OsmoBSC    OsmoMSC
> network / network country code 901         yes          no         yes
> msc / msc-addr msc_remote                   no         yes          no

I thought the '#' comments were good enough?
The result of such a table would be the entire config file with dozens of
identical 'yes | no' markers on the right?

Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean ... so may I suggest that you write
one? I'll be happy to review that.

BTW, I also want to figure out which parts really need to be issued twice, and
which are just leftovers from the openbsc.git split...

> PS Great work! Keep it up!

Thanks! And likewise! :)

~N