osmo-bsc and msc connection

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Thu Oct 19 15:11:04 UTC 2017

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 02:15:16PM +0200, gsm sim wrote:
> Now how is the BSC supposed to connect to the MSC?

osmo-bsc --> osmo-stp <-- osmo-msc

The cs7 instance setup you mention should work.

BTW, I have the task of writing a migration guide from OsmoNITB to
separate OsmoBSC+OsmoMSC that should cover these topics, which I'm
planning to start today. It should be in the osmocom.org wiki soon.

> I'm using the nighlty-packages

Note that so far there are separate repositories, one containing the old
osmo-bsc binary that only speaks SCCPlite, and a separate one with the new
packages that speak SCCP/M3UA.

The subtle difference at the moment is that the new SCCP/M3UA version of
osmo-bsc is called 'osmo-bsc_*.deb' and is in
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/network:osmocom:nitb-split:nightly

While the old osmo-bsc version that can only do SCCPlite and has no M3UA
support is called 'osmocom-bsc_*.deb' ('osmocom' vs. 'osmo') and is in
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/network:osmocom:nightly

(We are working on it to join the "split" ones with the standard "nightly"
feed)

See also
https://osmocom.org/projects/cellular-infrastructure/wiki/Nightly_Builds

In our OpenEmbedded builds, we have already renamed the old osmo-bsc to
'osmo-bsc-sccplite', it might be a good idea to do the same for debian
packaging.

~N