log level everything

Max msuraev at sysmocom.de
Mon Oct 16 12:26:31 UTC 2017

Hi.

Pardon for reviving such an old thread - I've stumbled upon this while reviewing
https://osmocom.org/issues/71 and there seems to be no definite conclusion as to what
shall we implement and how.

On 12.09.2017 10:55, Keith wrote:
> NOTE! I have my libosmocore patch in my original post on
> this thread in place, so I can still do log level all
> everything.

Does it work the same way (modulo "everything" option) on libosmocore from master?

> Here the specific per-subsystem levels were not
> respected, rather they were over-ridden by the logging all
> directive.

It seems like this have more to do with priorities rather than "everything" option:
shall the "logging level all XX" override the already set "logging level cc YY"? In
the existing manuals we do not document this either way which is an oversight which
shall be fixed. But before that we should agree on what's the expected behavior.

> It is impossible to silence a subsystem when logging level
> all has been issued.
> I am only able to achieve this with logging
> level all everything - This is the key to respecting the
> per-subsystem levels.

It seems somewhat confusing when trying to follow interactive session. Could you
please make an example .cfg which demonstrates the issue you're facing and attach it
to https://osmocom.org/issues/71 alongside with the incorrect output?

--
Max Suraev <msuraev at sysmocom.de> http://www.sysmocom.de/
* Alt-Moabit 93