RFC: CTRL interface and rate_ctr group names

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Thu Oct 5 00:25:50 UTC 2017

On Wed, Oct 04, 2017 at 05:29:17PM +0200, Max wrote:
> It seems like there's bunch of corner cases in CTRL protocol due underspecification.
> Would it make sense to formally specify it in smth like GNU bison and generate
> parsers automatically instead of relying on manual parsing?

I don't think this is a useful investment of our time now.  If somebody
finds time/funding/resources for any major reimplementations in this area,
it should be spent on a unified CTRL+VTY configuration system - which for sure
will [have to have] a proper parser.

> This would probably allow us to automatically generate docs for it as well.

I don't really see how we can automatically generate documentation?  You would
still register individual control commands/nodes from application code, and not
from the generated parser in libosmocore.