building osmo-iuh and libsctp

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Tue Nov 7 05:05:25 UTC 2017

Hi Neels,

On Tue, Nov 07, 2017 at 02:26:11AM +0100, Neels Hofmeyr wrote:
> I've recently upgraded my OS to debian 9 and suddenly have difficulty building
> osmo-iuh: the osmo-hnbgw linking step complains about a missing sctp_send,
> which is resolved by adding -lsctp to LDADD. But I'm puzzled why this comes
> from a system upgrade and not a code change. Does anyone have an idea what
> could cause this, or what would have hidden the linking error before?

I agree, it's puzzling.

> What's the proper way to add -lsctp? The dependency comes from libosmo-ranap
> using libosmo-sigtran
> - should the libosmo-sigtran.pc include -lsctp?

yes, but I'm not sure if it's the right way to simply hard-code it in libosmo-sigtran.pc.in,
or if it (possibly rather) should be the result of `pkg-config --libs libsctp`

> - should we add a libsctp detection to osmo-iuh's configure.ac (copy from
>   libosmo-sccp) and use $(SCTP_LIBS) constants in Makefile.am LDADD?

no, that's clearly wrong, as sctp_send symbol is (according to your statement)
used by libosmo-sigtrn and not directly by libosmo-ranap or osmo-iuh.

> - is everything correct and my OS has a problem instead?

the interesting question is why it's suddenly failing now, and why e.g. I don't
have any build errors on debian unstable here.  Or why the debian9 package
generation on OBS is working.