Voice audio testing in osmo-gsm-tester

Holger Freyther holger at freyther.de
Tue May 30 04:00:21 UTC 2017

> On 30. May 2017, at 09:43, Mychaela Falconia <mychaela.falconia at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Holger Freyther <holger at freyther.de> wrote:

Hi

> What exactly are the bits which you send and receive every 40 ms?  Do
> you get two 260-bit GSM 06.10 codec frames every 40 ms, with the
> ability to send your own arbitrary bits into the TCH uplink, including
> the possibility of passing non-speech data over voice TCH if the
> network does TFO as in GSM 02.53?  The latter is what the Calypso DSP
> allows.

It is alaw. I assume the Qualcomm DSP will do the transcoding but I
didn't look/trace the implementation (and the UC20 doesn't run Linux).

E.g. I used this to play a sine wave on a connected call.

gst-launch-1.0 audiotestsrc wave=sine ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! audio/x-raw, rate=8000, channels=1, format=S16LE ! filesink location=/dev/ttyUSB1 sync=true