how to use the CTRL interface to set TRAPs.

emily mcmilin emily.mcmilin at gmail.com
Wed May 24 19:07:00 UTC 2017

Hi Max,

Thanks for the quick feedback.  Comments inline

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 1:14 AM, Max <msuraev at sysmocom.de> wrote:

> The easiest way to quickstart would be to compile OsmoBSC ("./configure
> --enable-osmo-bsc" in OpenBSC repo) and than start it
> (./openbsc/src/osmo-bsc/osmo-bsc -c ~/.config/osmocom/osmo-bsc.cfg) and start OsmoBTS
> (./src/osmo-bts-trx/osmo-bts-trx -c ~/.config/osmocom/osmo-bts.cfg). After that you
> can play with ctrl interface using GET (./bsc_control.py -d localhost -g
> bts_connection_status) and TRAP (./bsc_control.py -d localhost -m) messages.

(Note that in this case I am using the SysmoBTS HW, hence osmo-bts-trx
is not running, and my version of bsc_control.py insists on
host/port.)

I am able to use GET vars as expected, for example:
   `$ python ~/openbsc/openbsc/contrib/bsc_control.py -g
bts.0.oml-connection-state -d localhost -p 4249
   Got message: GET_REPLY 9194480470313757573
bts.0.oml-connection-state connected`

However, I am not able to issue the specific GET for
"bts_connection_status" that you used in your example:
   `$ python ~/openbsc/openbsc/contrib/bsc_control.py -g
bts_connection_status -d localhost -p 4249
   Got message: ERROR 6533531211354498498 Command not found`

Are these two .*connection.* commands synonymous in function, or am I
missing something?

(Note there are other examples of seeming mismatch between the command
in the manual and the command that I can run, ie:
'net.btsN.trxM.arfcn' in Table 2 referenced before vs
'bts.0.trx.0.arfcn' in my use case -- note the difference in . pattern
-- which I assume to be a non-issue, but would love further clarity
on.)

However, speaking to TRAP calls specifically, in both cases, I get a
non-response from CLI (initially meeting my expectations, but it
remains non-responsive despite issuing the GET .*connection.* commands
noted above in another terminal, thus my confusion):
   `$ python ~/openbsc/openbsc/contrib/bsc_control.py -m
bts_connection_status -d localhost -p 4249
   ^C
   <snip>
   $ python ~/openbsc/openbsc/contrib/bsc_control.py -m
bts.0.oml-connection-state -d localhost -p 4249
   ^C
   <snip>`

Thanks,
Emily