libosmocore embedded build

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Wed May 17 14:03:05 UTC 2017

Hi Andre,

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 11:51:02AM +0200, André Boddenberg wrote:
> >> 1) make sure embedded builds continue to work by building libosmocore
> >>   for embedded as part of the jenkins setup (using gcc-arm-none-eabi
> >>   debian package). Any volunteers?
>
> Here, I'd like to do this.

great!

> Afaics we need some modifications in libosmocore/contrib/jenkins.sh or
> an additional libosmocore/contrib/jenkins-arm-none-eabi.sh script to
> build the arm-none-eabi flavor. Any preferences?

I don't know anything about the jenkins setup, so I defer here to the
people more familiar with it.

> I have sufficient permission to create a test job on Jenkins. to
> verify that the build slave (gcc-arm-none-eabi) can
> build libosmocore with changed ./configure invokation. In case of
> missing dependencies on the build slave I'd reach out do you.

sure, thanks.

> But before starting, I need some clarification about the changed
> arguments of ./configure invokation, because:
>
> >> Below command works for me [tm]:
> >> ./configure     --prefix=/usr/local/arm-none-eabi \
> >>                --host=arm-none-eabi \
> >>                --enable-embedded \
> >>                --disable-shared \
> >>                CFLAGS="-Os -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -nostartfiles -nodefaultlibs"
>
> does only succeed when adding "--enable-static" to the arguments.

'--enable-static' will just enable the linking/generation of a static
library.  It will not disable the dynamic library and do any of the
other things.

> Can I simply add "--enable-static" or is my build environment not
> sane? If not how can I fix it?

Ah, I think now I understand.  You're saying that the above command
quoted from my mail only works if you _also_ add --enable-static?  This
is interesting, but yes you can simply add it.  We could also change the
configure.ac to add the --disable-shared and --enable-static
automatically when using '--enable-embedded'.  We coul dalso do the same
for the CFLAGS, as they should be the same for whatever embedded
microcontroller one would want to build for.  The --host and --prefix
should not have any default values, though, and should always be
specified by the caller.