GPRS only without GSM

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Wed May 3 09:56:32 UTC 2017

On Wed, May 03, 2017 at 09:34:41AM +0000, Radiarisainana Sitraka wrote:
> I would like to use GPRS only without GSM with OsmoNITB; what kind of configuration should I do !?

Please be more specific what is the exact behaviour you would like.

* The GSM side should reject all location updates, but only GPRS LU +
  ATTACH should work?

This should be possible by having no subscribers in
your NITB HLR and white-listing them in the SGSN ACL.  However, 99% of
all MS that I've seen will attempt a GSM LU before doing a GPRS LU, and
if they get rejected on GSM, they will not try to register on GSM.  Only
some very few MS (like certain cellular modems for M2M applications) can
be configured to only attach on GPRS without performing a GSM LU first.

* GSM LU should work, but all calls and SMS shall be rejected

This is not possible currently, it would require some smaller
modifications/extensions to the code.  Would fit quite easily into the
new OsmoMSC + OsmoHLR model, where the HLR could be extended with
subscription information for all individual teleservices.