RFC: speed up gerrit verifications by using dependency artifacts

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Fri Mar 31 11:46:22 UTC 2017

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 01:39:44AM +0200, André Boddenberg wrote:
> >> Why not use the archive artifact feature of jenkins?
> But a matrixConfigurationJob [3] archives artifacts per axis, so jenkins would
> store 8 artifacts [4]. Unfortunately the "archive artifacts" post-build-step
> cannot be triggered by a specific axis configuration (afaik).
[...]
> At this point I just got the feeling that writing a custom script and using a
> directory as an artifact store may will be much more straight forward. I agrre,
> that this directory approach might be to prototyp'ish.

To me it sounds that an own approach is indeed simpler. If we need to add a
plugin, resolve URLs and go crazy, might as well use the file system that's
already there and working. Maybe one could benefit from distributed builds,
i.e. when one build slave's artifact can be used across other build slaves, but
that doesn't apply to our situation. Would anyway make sense to build
dependencies once per build slave in a project where each build slave is a
different OS or config instead of sharing load.

> But according to contrib/jenkins.sh in openbsc repo, some non-master branches
> (of libosmo-(netif && sccp)) are used in all axes where "IU" is enabled:
>
>    20) if [ "x$IU" = "x--enable-iu" ]; then
>    21)      netif_branch="sysmocom/sctp"
>    22)      sccp_branch="sysmocom/iu"
>    23) fi
>    --
>    26) osmo-build-dep.sh libosmo-netif $netif_branch
>    27) osmo-build-dep.sh libosmo-sccp $sccp_branch
>
> To be honest I'm a bit confused or am I just missing something?

The good news is that the dep branches have become unnecessary just two days
ago. I will remove them from the build scripts now.

The IU prepares for the vlr_3G branch of openbsc, which needed these branched
dependencies. The ./configure --with-iu switch has already been merged to
master, so we are building the incomplete IU feature with master as well, to
make sure no new development inadvertently destroys the IU parts. (To really
build 3G, we would need to also use the openbsc vlr_3G branch instead of
master, which is not an option in a gerrit build.).

~N