NITB: high cpu usage and "crossed" messages when SMS table grows

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Tue Mar 14 11:21:17 UTC 2017

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 11:49:52AM +0300, Alexander Chemeris wrote:
> Just add a few thousand SMS to the DB (DB should 10Mb or more roughly) and
> start OsmoNITB. You'll notice it's agony immediately.
>
> It's been a while, but IIRC the issue is that the DB didn't have proper
> indexes for the kinds of queries we're running on it, so it's getting super
> inefficient.

Ah, so that part is SQlite DB related. I've been very active in Osmocom
for the past 15 or so months thanks to sysmocom, but still learning new
aspects of the code base regularly :)

> Regarding removing SMS - it should be fine based on validity time of the
> SMS and it was completely broken. I had a patch set which fixed validity
> time handling, but IIRC it wasn't merged. We can probably dug it up, but I
> don't have much time to rebase / adapt it to the new codebase right now. If
> there are any volunteers, that would be great.

You could push it as a private branch without bothering to pull it up to
recent code and tell this list about it, maybe someone will be interested.

For Osmocom's future plans in general, we are moving away from having an
SQLite database in the OsmoNITB (and the new OsmoMSC). With the new VLR,
the database is only used for SMS, no longer for subscribers, and there
has been talk about implementing a proper SMSC, i.e. a separate process to
handle SMS. So we would probably not want to spend effort on optimizing
the old SMS storage "just before" we go on to get rid of it altogether.

Sending SMS to the wrong recipient though is probably worth fixing. That
should really not happen.

~N