NITB: high cpu usage and "crossed" messages when SMS table grows

Keith keith at rhizomatica.org
Mon Mar 13 22:01:57 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I temporarily disabled a cron job we run at rhizomatica that purges the
hlr SMS table of sent messages every day.

After a few days I noticed slightly sluggish behaviour in the VTY, and
sure enough, the nitb was consuming 100% cpu, not always, but presumably
whenever it does a queue run. I also just heard that in the last few
days, we got a number of reports from users, some confirmed by photos of
the phones, about messages being delivered to the wrong destination.

Apologies if this has been touched on before. I am not finding where I
can directly search this list archives. Anyway, it might not be so bad
to bring it up, as the cron job purging via cron job calling sqlite3 is
not ideal, and anyway.. this crossed messages shouldn't happen, right? I
imagine we'd like to track this one down.

Keith.