Thoughts on a next generation MIB/VTY replacement

Max msuraev at sysmocom.de
Fri Mar 10 09:11:14 UTC 2017

Hi.

I won't claim in-depth experience with MIB frameworks, just want to
contribute few buzzwords into brainstorming:
NETCONF - rfc 6241 https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6241
YANG - rfc rfc 6020 https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6020

The former is IETF protocol for configuring network devices [1]. The
latter is data modeling language describing device's configuration and
state, manipulated by netconf [2].

 From brief overview those seems to match well with Harald's outline.
There might be few pieces still missing but it seems doable. I see
following advantages in adopting netconf & yang:
- it's ietf standard
- there are open source (including GPL) implementations we can play with
[3, 4]
- it's already widely supported by telecom vendors so chances are in
operators using Osmocom stack, will be some people familiar with it
- it's SDN/NFV compatible which makes it future-proof
- there's proposed extension RESTCONF which make integration with creepy
web things like SOAP much easier [5]
- and most important for me personally - there's Emacs mode for it [6] :-)

We're not the first to feel the need for proper MIB/configuration
subsystem, and the task indeed looks huge. So the more we can rely on
work already done in this field, the better. Even if we have to write
some things, by relying on open and widely adopted standards we increase
our chances of getting external contributions which is always nice.

[1] https://trac.ietf.org/trac/netconf
[2] http://www.yang-central.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/WebHome
[3] http://ensuite.sourceforge.net/
[4] https://github.com/CESNET/libnetconf