RFC: jenkins pipeline (containers and license compliance)

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Wed Mar 8 17:24:11 UTC 2017

Sorry for the slight detour:

Docker (and other related) container images pose still largely
unresolved license compliance conflicts.  We as Osmocom project are on
the safe side as long as we distribute only source code of our projects,
or binaries built from our source code, where the binaries include the
respective license texts as well as an indication where the
corresponding source for that build can be found.

If we distribute images with binaries in them, we need to be 100% sure
that we can ensure license compliance for everything inside such an
image, for each and every version of that image, and also make sure that
the source code (if not includeD) can be later produced for a given
build even if somebody asks three years later.

So in general, i have big reservations against containers and the way
how people in that area seem to ignore FOSS (and other?) license
compliance.  Maybe that's just my pre-occupation, and they have this all
sorted out.  But to me, so far, it seems like this technology is just
inviting people to commit license infringements.

Before anyone uploads/publishes any containers on our servers or on
hub.docker.com or any other site, please think twice and thrice about
how you ensure compliance withe every license of every software in such
an image. Thanks.