RFC: jenkins pipeline

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sat Mar 4 09:43:27 UTC 2017

Hi Neels,

On Sat, Mar 04, 2017 at 06:28:24AM +0100, Neels Hofmeyr wrote:
> About the distribution of scripts: the osmo-ci has common scripts, and each
> project's jenkins.sh has project-specific steps in it.

> Either we keep all project-specific details in one central place
> instead of with the project (where one might say it belongs), or we
> copy the osmo-ci scripts to every project duplicating the code -- I
> don't really see a way to get out of that part...

what about git-subtree or git-submodule for osmo-ci?

> except for the parts we relayed into the jenkins.sh scripts for the same
> reason -- but this includes the job config as well, right? which sounds
> excellent. I'd trade any web interface for text files any time.

I also think that having the job configuration in the repository would
be a plus.

> > [1] https://jenkins.io/doc/book/pipeline/
> > [2] https://jenkins.io/doc/book/pipeline/jenkinsfile/
>
> One thing that catches my attention: do we have to trade shell script for
> groovy scripting? That would be a potential drawback, because we're familiar
> with shell, not with groovy. Groovy is very Java, we're more C and sh.

I have a strong opinion against our developers having to learn a new
programming language just for continuous integration.  That would be a
*very* high price to pay.

Also, in general I appreciate steps that improve productivity.  But
please keep in mind that using new tools/toys just because they exist
and may be hyped is not a good reason.  I'm not saying this is the case
here, but I'm saying we have to be careful.