.deb build as jenkins test

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Tue Jun 27 10:54:05 UTC 2017

Hi Max,

On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 02:40:06PM +0200, Max wrote:
> In a light of https://projects.osmocom.org/issues/2340 I'd like to add .deb build as
> an additional step for jenkins jobs triggered by gerrit push.
> It'll mean longer build times but it'll prevent breaking changes from reaching
> master.

I don't like that idea.  At least not unless somebody donates a
Ryzen/Threadripper with sufficient RAM so we can do the build testing in
a ram/tmpfs there .

What we need to make sure though is that somehow (e.g. by a nightly
build) the culprit of introducing a change is notified if it breaks the
package build.

I don't think it's a big issue if we have an occasional dpkg build error
that then gets resolved within 24 hours.

> breakage in https://build.opensuse.org/project/monitor/network:osmocom:nightly but it
> should make nightly builds more stable and easier to maintain.

I think the problem is that right now the "culprit" of breaking the
nightly pacakges is not informed.   If we can change that (either within
OBS or by the clumsy approach of havin to set up another nightly jenkins
job for packae builds), I think it's sufficient.