osmo-bts-trx fails frequently on osmo-gsm-tester

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Fri Jun 23 02:51:07 UTC 2017

We're still having massive stability problems with osmo-bts-trx on the osmo-gsm-tester.

I have run a tcpdump on the ntp port for the past days, and nothing is doing
ntp besides the actual ntp service.

Today I started ntp while an osmo-bts-trx run was active and what do you know,
the osmo-bts-trx process exits immediately. I think this is bad, osmo-bts-trx
shouldn't use wall clock time for precise timing needs.

Besides that, I have no idea what could cause the clock skews, except maybe
that the CPU or the USB are not fast enough??  I'm wondering, is there still
such a thing as a separate linux realtime kernel?

We will soon take to productive use another main unit which will be a cleanly
installed OS. If we see the same problems on that system and can't find a
software fix, we may need to reconsider the tester for osmo-bts-trx...

~N