osmo-gsm-tester - voice call

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Wed Jun 14 15:07:51 UTC 2017

Welcome Sudhanthiradasan,

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 01:03:20PM +0000, Sudhanthiradasan R wrote:
> 2)In the suites directory, I can see aoip_debug, aoip_sms, debug, netreg, sms suites. What are all the tests that I can do with these suits? Is there any documentation?

We don't have specific documentation for the different suites yet. They aren't
structured as clearly as I would like, either, given the still early stage of
what osmo-gsm-tester is capable of. The 'sms' and 'aoip_sms' can be considered
the production parts tested in our jenkins
http://jenkins.osmocom.org/jenkins/view/osmo-gsm-tester/job/osmo-gsm-tester_run/
where the others are more for our own manual testing and debugging.

Also as Pau pointed out the roadmap is to drop the 'sms' suite completely,
since that is using the OsmoNITB, which will "soon" be discontinued for the
benefit of a separate OsmoBSC and OsmoMSC.

> 3)If we want to create new suites, is there any document to help us?

If you create new tests and suites, we would appreciate if you share your
efforts with the community: i.e. instead of creating your separate private
project containing test suites, rather submit them back to us with the goal of
having a complete collection of test suites upstream at git.osmocom.org. There
are two points to this: one of course is that we are spending a rather large
amount of effort to make this infrastructure available for free, for which we
still need to get support and funding. The other point is that any tests we
incorporate in our upstream codebase will be maintained by the community and
will be considered in new developments, without you having to catch up with us
constantly. If you are willing to provide funding to help us push things
forward, that is very welcome. But just as welcome is your support in the form
of sharing your own test suites and other patches with us.

Same goes for the documentation: the manual can certainly use more/better
content, which may also be contributed by anyone.

In turn feel free to also share your questions regarding the tester and Osmocom
in general, and we will help you find answers to the best of our abilities.
Professional support is also available, e.g. from my employer sysmocom.

Check out the OsmoGSMTester manual, part of the osmo-gsm-manuals:
http://osmocom.org/projects/cellular-infrastructure/wiki/Osmocom_Manuals

Also be aware of numerous issues still open in our tracker, many of which ask
for clarification of the structures and extending the features of the tester:
http://osmocom.org/projects/osmo-gsm-tester/issues
You are welcome to help out with those and/or let us know which of those are of
interest to you and/or create new issues.

Any feedback from you in form of patches is highly welcome, using our Gerrit
patch management; for instructions, see:
http://osmocom.org/projects/cellular-infrastructure/wiki/Gerrit

Thank you for your interest, and hoping that you will join the Osmocom
community!

~N

--
- Neels Hofmeyr <nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de>          http://www.sysmocom.de/