sysmoUSIM variants and alternatives

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 13:58:11 UTC 2017

Hello Mychaela,

On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 1:47 AM, Mychaela Falconia
<mychaela.falconia at gmail.com> wrote:
> the only product
> I found so far is sysmoUSIM - if anyone else makes a similar product
> ("generic" SIM cards for tinkerers), I would like to know about it.
> In the case of sysmo(U)SIM cards, it looks like 2FF-only cards are no
> longer available, and the current choices are 2FF+3FF or 2FF+4FF.  My
> question is: if I only want 2FF and have no interest in 3FF or 4FF,
> which variant should I buy?

I'm curious - since you're doing your own hardware, why not install a
3FF/4FF slot instead of a 2FF? Or even install two or three of them to
give users a choice? I don't think you're really limited in space on
your PCB, looking at it. But even with a 2FF slot, I'm surprised you
have issues with mechanical strength - 3FF/4FF SIMs work fine with 2FF
slots with an "adaptor", unless you plan to insert/remove them really
frequently. And then, as Harald has mentioned, a small piece of a thin
tape helps a lot.

PS We're also making / selling our own Fairwaves branded SIM cards,
but only to customers who buy our BTS so far and we make them
2FF/3FF/4FF by default, as that's what most people want nowadays. So
that's not much of a difference from what you get from Sysmocom.

Alexander Chemeris.
CTO/Founder, Fairwaves, Inc.
https://fairwaves.co