sysmoUSIM variants and alternatives

Mychaela Falconia mychaela.falconia at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 22:47:16 UTC 2017

(Posting to the OpenBSC list because I figured that the set of people
 who issue their own SIMs probably has a good overlap with the set of
 people who operate their own physical GSM networks.)

I am shopping for some non-carrier-branded, non-carrier-issued SIM
cards for use in testing my FreeCalypso GSM MS devices (specifically,
testing of the SIM interface in isolation without bringing up radio,
as well as radio and full MS functionality testing with a base station
simulator like CMU200 instead of live networks), and the only product
I found so far is sysmoUSIM - if anyone else makes a similar product
("generic" SIM cards for tinkerers), I would like to know about it.

In the case of sysmo(U)SIM cards, it looks like 2FF-only cards are no
longer available, and the current choices are 2FF+3FF or 2FF+4FF.  My
question is: if I only want 2FF and have no interest in 3FF or 4FF,
which variant should I buy?  In other words, which variant is
mechanically stronger and less likely to break in 2FF-only usage in
various kinds in 2FF sockets?

TIA,
Mychaela