Osmocom releases

Max msuraev at sysmocom.de
Wed Jul 12 13:23:36 UTC 2017

On 12.07.2017 15:11, Neels Hofmeyr wrote:
> Let me also re-plug the following thread, it has results from OsmoDevCon:
> https://lists.osmocom.org/pipermail/openbsc/2017-April/010569.html
> "Using repo to make 'regular' releases" on Tue Apr 25 13:40:15 UTC 2017
> It seems that we have reached some conclusions which are fading away (at least
> in my memory), it helps to re-read.

I think we should put this into wiki.

> Regarding the patches, I've posted a comment asking about installation of
> osmo-release.mk, otherwise I haven't taken a detailed look yet.

Thanks, will fix in next revision.

> The topic is non-trivial, and I guess it would be good to have a practical
> example that includes the entire process: make a change to libosmocore that
> bumps a version and is required by e.g. libosmo-abis; what exactly are my steps
> in sequence to achieve that? Does it make sense to have this in a WIP wiki
> page?

I think it's better to add WIP section to
https://osmocom.org/projects/cellular-infrastructure/wiki/Make_a_new_release

Also, have a look at "When to make a new release" section.

I think it's essential to clearly distinguish between "make a change to library" and
"making library release". The former is the usual commit (make sure to update
TODO-RELEASE if necessary) and does not require anything special. The latter is when
proposed makefile helper comes into play (it batches together several of "make a
change to library" commits). Once the result release commit lands in master it you
can bump version requirements of projects which depends on it as necessary.

Overall though, I think we should do it other way around: when we need to release one
of non-library projects (Osmo*) we should check dependencies and make their releases
if necessary before proceeding with the release of the Osmo* project.

--
Max Suraev <msuraev at sysmocom.de> http://www.sysmocom.de/
* Alt-Moabit 93