sscp-context initalization via VTY

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Fri Jul 7 02:04:39 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jul 07, 2017 at 12:12:04AM +0100, Harald Welte wrote:
> I'm not entirely happy about the amount of discussion this entire topic
> is drawing up, for several weeks. IMHO it should in fact be very
> straight forward and simple:

"All" that we need is a blueprint of what the OsmoMSC's VTY configuration
should look like, the rest would fall into place. It would be quite helpful if
you could provide us with that so that we can see it in a straight forward way.

Can you re-arrange this (or any other suggestion) to match your expectations:

 sccp-inst 1
  name OsmoMSC-A
  local-pc 0.0.2
  prot M3UA
  local-ip 1.1.1.4
  remote-ip 2.2.2.4

 sccp-inst 2
  name OsmoMSC-IuCS
  local-pc 0.23.0
  prot M3UA
  local-ip 1.1.1.1
  remote-ip 2.2.2.2

 msc
  iface-a sccp-inst 1
  iface-iucs sccp-inst 2

The bounds are...

I cannot use two distinct local SCCP addresses with one osmo_ss7_instance;
current code dictates a single local PC. If I configure A and IuCS on the same
SS7 instance but use distinct addresses, it will silently not work.

There can be only one SCCP client tied to a given osmo_ss7_instance, the
osmo_ss7_instance->sccp pointer is a 1:1 relation. (Shouldn't it be the other
way, the sccp instance having a pointer to an ss7?)

Address names are scoped per osmo_ss7_instance, so I can easily have the same
name in two separate ss7 instances. Hence the application needs to be aware of
which instance it should take the address from. Why not one global name scope?
It is also conceivable that I want to use the same SCCP address in two distinct
SS7+SCCP instances, e.g. using the same PC in distinct STP spheres.

The application dictates an SSN, which is technically part of the SCCP address,
but nevertheless should not be VTY configurable. Basically all that we want to
configure of the local SCCP address *is* a local PC.

Each single SCCP client will connect to one OsmoSTP remote. We need to bind to
a local IP address and contact a remote one. It makes sense to write that VTY
once and re-use in every application.

We can run both A and IuCS on the same SCCP instance using an identical local
PC and connecting to the same STP;
Or we can have each on its own SCCP instance with distinct PCs and STPs.

This should be cast into a plain VTY structure that is helpful in avoiding
mistakes.

~N