test error analysis on build services

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Wed Jan 25 11:23:40 UTC 2017

On jenkins and opensuse, we have builds where we cannot easily analyse the
testsuite.dir after a build failed. So we only see which tests failed and not
why.

On jenkins I have in most places added a script invocation that prints all
testsuite.dir/*/*.log in case of build failure, so we can see it in the jenkins
log right away.

On opensuse.org, IIUC, the 'make check' is run by dh or something, so it's not
trivial (to me) to make it output the test logs in case of failure.

I'm thinking now, don't we always want to see these failures anyway? We could
include in our Makefile.am a tweak to print the test logs in case of testsuite
failure.

Sometimes this output can become fairly large though; e.g. when a long test
fails early and prints "nothing", the test log shows a huge diff with all
expected output as minus-lines.

My main goal right now is to see why/how the libosmo-netif OBS build failed
(osmux test fails) without further local reproduction effort.  This situation
will certainly repeat over and over, for all of the other projects as well.

What do you think? Can we get that easily?

~N

--
- Neels Hofmeyr <nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de>          http://www.sysmocom.de/
* Alt-Moabit 93