vlr+hlr: Insert Data

Tobias Engel t-openbsc at tobias.org
Mon Feb 27 09:47:43 UTC 2017

On 13.02.17 08:13, Jacob Erlbeck wrote:
> On 02/09/2017 02:53 PM, Neels Hofmeyr wrote:
>>
>> What should we do if the HLR sends no Insert Data?
>
> I did not find much in 29.002 that tells otherwise. There is only figure
> 19.1.1/3 which states that the insert messages are not optional by not
> using italics. The automatons in 19.1.1/6 and 19.1.1/13 do not impose
> such a restriction.

By the way: Both updateLocation and updateGprsLocation have a
skipSubscriberDataUpdate flag, which tells the HLR to skip the
insertSubscriberData procedure.

>From 29.002 8.1.2.3:

Skip Subscriber Data Update
The presence of the parameter is optional and if present it indicates
that subscriber data download during the updateGprsLocation procedure
may be skipped by the HLR e.g. because the service is solely used to
inform the HLR about change of IMEISV. The parameter is used to optimise
signalling load during Location Update procedure.

-Tobias