Handover and load balancing on SysmoBTS 2050

Keith keith at rhizomatica.org
Fri Feb 24 16:12:02 UTC 2017

On 21/02/2017 16:14, Harald Welte wrote:
> Just a quick response: jolly implemented "traffic handover" aka "load
> balancing" 3 years ago as part of a branch (I believe for a customer),
> but unfortunately this never was merged back to master.
Reading the commit log, this looks terrific...

> Meanwhile, we already have all the code for execution of hand-overs in
> place.  We also have dynamic timeslots in place.  So the "mechanics"
> should all be there to add the two missing features from those old
> branches:
> a) de-fragmenting of channels (i.e. merging two separate TCH/H into one
>    timeslot, so the other timeslot can be switched to TCH/F or PDCH on
>    demand
> b) load/traffic based hand-over
So essentially everything I was talking about is already implemented!

My question then would be, and I understand maybe the answer is not so
easily available without a full code review, but

Was it unfortunately never merged back to master because
Simply no one ever made the effort to do so.
OR
There were problems with the code, disagreement on the implementation or
incompatibilities with other developments etc..

If it's the former, I'll have a go at this.
If it is the latter, it's probably beyond my skills.

> The general strategy I would normally assume is to
> * switch to half-rate channels with AMR whenever possible
> * use dynamic channel switching to switch between TCH/H (default) and
>   TCH/F (if neded)
Absolutely, I must revisit this one.
It was shelved for us due to my understanding a few months ago that if
we implemented AMR, then we couldn't also use FR.
As that's all now resolved, I can implement, test and report. :-)