about merging deletion of checking-value-strings script from libosmocore

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Thu Aug 31 11:36:19 UTC 2017

Hi Neels,

On Sat, Aug 26, 2017 at 08:23:05PM +0200, Neels Hofmeyr wrote:
> I would have welcomed more patience in merging https://gerrit.osmocom.org/3685,
> "Use value string check from osmo-ci" in libosmocore.
> (the commit log of which fails to indicate removal of the script, btw)

My apologies.

I'm absolutely *not* in favor of quite a number of the recent changes that
affect the build dependencies, including the introduction of the bumpversion
dependency, the move of the value string script, etc.

The big problem is that such changes are often done *before* there is any discussion
about whether the community actually thinks this is a good change, and hence
I'm facing the decision: "Get over my reservations and make use of the
work that has been done" vs.  "reject more of those changes".

I think in hindsight, I have regretted a lot of those instances where I
merged them despite my reservations.  Your experience with fall-out from
this particular change is one more reason to lean more on the "reject"
side from now on.

Also, if anyone else is planning changes to the build systems /
infrastructure / build-time dependencies / ...:  Please discuss *before*
you invest time in doing something that will then rather likely be
rejected.