RFC: use git-version-gen from gnulib

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Thu Aug 31 11:40:08 UTC 2017

Hi Max,

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 02:38:43PM +0200, Max wrote:
> I'd like to propose to switch from local (unmaintained?) copy of git-version-gen
> script and use it directly from upstream gnulib package. It's available pretty-much
> everywhere (including ancient Debian which we support for nightly). It's also
> available in meta-oe: https://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/recipe/47365/

this sounds like yet another of the changes that you recently seem to like
to introduce to the build infrastructure which I don't like.

What kind of maintenance does something like git-version-gen require?  What
kind of bugs have we ever encountered in the copies that we keep in our repos?

Where is the *actual* benefit to us as developers and particularly to our users?

To me, this looks like the right thing in theory, but then in reality it will mean
all buildhosts/docker-images need to be updated, virtually every wiki page related
to building osmocom from source needs updates.  Projects like osmo-combo will need
to be updated.  Other people's dockerfiles or similar "recipes" need updates.

Is all of this an efficient use of our time?  Again, what bottom-line benefit does
this bring?  To me it just sounds like a change that is likely to create
fall-out and frustration down the line, for no obvious advantage.