Support for SMPP Delivery Receipt / GSM03.40 Status Report in master

Pablo Neira Ayuso pablo at gnumonks.org
Fri Aug 11 12:54:07 UTC 2017

Hi!

Support for SMPP Delivery Receipt / GSM03.40 Status Report has been
now merged into master.

If you developed your own ESME, this may require changes on your side
so things doesn't break.

Basically, you have to make sure your ESME deals with esm_class =
Delivery Receipt SMPP messages.

 MS        GSM 03.40           SMSC       SMPP 3.4               ESME
  |                             |                                |
  |       SMS-DELIVER           |                                |
  |<----------------------------|                                |
  |     GSM 04.11 RP-ACK        |                                |
  |---------------------------->|                                |
  |                             |           DELIVER-SM           |
  |                             |  esm_class = Delivery Receipt  |
  |                             |------------------------------->|
  |                             |         DELIVER-SM-RESP        |
  |                             |<-------------------------------|
  |                             |                                |

In a nutshell: Your ESME should not assume a DELIVER-SM always convey a
SMS, so such DELIVER-SM should NOT be bounced back to the corresponding
SMSC as a normal SUBMIT-SM since it does not represent a SMS.

Your ESME also needs to send a Delivery Acknowledgement to the mobile
station of origin, the one that sent the SMS, so the SMSC can deliver
the corresponding GSM03.40 SMS-STATUS-REPORT.

 MS        GSM 03.40           SMSC       SMPP 3.4               ESME
  |                             |                                |
  |                             |           SUBMIT-SM            |
  |                             |    esm_class = Delivery Ack    |
  |                             |<-------------------------------|
  |                             |         SUBMIT-SM-RESP         |
  |                             |------------------------------->|
  |                             |                                |
  |     SMS-STATUS-REPORT       |                                |
  |     GSM 04.11 RP-ACK        |                                |

Please, see at recent updates on utils/smpp_mirror.c, I made a number of
small patches so I could this utility to test my patches that, I think,
should be help understand the changes that you have to do on your ESME:

http://git.osmocom.org/openbsc/log/openbsc/src/utils/smpp_mirror.c

Let me know if you have any question/concern.

Thanks!