Thoughts on a next generation MIB/VTY replacement

Max msuraev at sysmocom.de
Wed Apr 26 13:52:29 UTC 2017

Hi.

A little follow-up on this topic after OsmoDevCon. I've stumbled upon following
project http://www.clicon.org/
>From a quick glance over their tutorial at http://www.clicon.org/clicon_tutorial.pdf
it seems to fulfill almost all the properties discussed at OsmoDevCon:
* autogeneration of cli and conf from single source
* transactions support
* both human-oriented cli and machine-oriented protocol from a single source

Added bonus is that it's available under GPL (dual-license actually):
https://github.com/clicon/clicon

The only downside I see so far (besides the sheer amount of work for migration) is
that this project is not widely used (yet?). Another thing I have not understood
without digging further is how to apply some configs/commands in runtime without
restarting the backend (OsmoBSC, OsmoMSC etc).

All-in-all it seems like smth definitely worth looking into.

--
Max Suraev <msuraev at sysmocom.de> http://www.sysmocom.de/
* Alt-Moabit 93