Using repo to make 'regular' releases

Pau Espin Pedrol pespin at sysmocom.de
Mon Apr 24 09:32:23 UTC 2017

Hi,

>> I like the central handle on dependencies, but I don't really like XML. Why not
>> use the git submodules approach? Can't submodules tag specific revisions?
>
> I have just seen repo used for Android and the Qualcomm MD9615 (Quectel EC2x) and it seemed to do quite well to clone/checkout/copy and later sync/update it. git submodule will probably work equally well.

I like the idea. I think repo is going to work better for this kind of
stuff and also given the amount of git repositories we are handling.

I would also use branches/tags inside the repo repository. For instance,
branch "master" is mapped to all master branches from all git
repositories, then branch "version1" points to specific versions or
revisions. This way it can be used both for building/testing development
+ releases.

It can be great too to use this repo repository to easily switch all git
repositories to a given development branch.
For instance, if we want to test 3g nowadays, we need to set most git
repositories to branch "master, then repository A to branch X,
repository B to branch Y, etc. By using repo, you just create a new
branch "3G" modifying the xml to point to your git repository specific
branch (default=>master, A=>X, B=>Y), and then everybody can easily test
it by switching the repo repo to "3g" branch, then calling repo sync +
build_all.sh

What about using a Makefile instead of a build_all.sh script? We can ten
perhaps paralelize some autoconf building between repositories which
have no depndencies to speedup build/test time.

--
- Pau Espin Pedrol <pespin at sysmocom.de>         http://www.sysmocom.de/
* Alt-Moabit 93