gerrit trouble "Change is New"

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Wed Apr 19 11:30:05 UTC 2017

On Sun, Apr 09, 2017 at 09:38:29PM +0200, Harald Welte wrote:
> I want to merge the patchset from my libosmo-sccp sigtran branch to
> master, but gerrit doesn't allow me to.
>
> I've re-pushed the patch set already multiple times, the last time also
> doing a minor cosmetic change to the commit log message of the first
> patch in the series (https://gerrit.osmocom.org/#/c/2191/).
>
> gerrit refuses to merge even that very first patch in the series with
> "change is new".

I've had this problem for a very long time and have mailed here about it.
Basically if you have a private branch based on current 'master', gerrit
will fail to merge the same patches. As soon as 'master' has moved on so
that your private branch is based on an older revision than master HEAD,
the merge will work again. Because I have the admin rights to do so, I
usually do a manual push to master instead.

See also
http://osmocom.org/projects/cellular-infrastructure/wiki/Gerrit#Merge-patch-to-master
and
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/gerrit/issues/detail?id=4158
which unfortunately hasn't concluded in a solution
--- or so I thought! There has been activity on this ticket since I last
looked at it, it seems they've actually fixed the problem in 2.12.6, yay!

I will upgrade gerrit one of these days...

~N