[RFC] Coding Style: Longer Line Lengths?

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Wed Apr 5 12:43:24 UTC 2017

On Sat, Apr 01, 2017 at 11:45:17AM +0200, Harald Welte wrote:
> [Despite today being April 1st, this is not an april fool's joke]
> nice here and there, but maybe something like 100, 120 or even 130 might

It sounds to me like most opinions converge around 120.
The collected opinions from this thread:

"My terminal is generally 120 -140 characters wide. I also use Sublime
Text which usually displays 110 the way I have it."

"github site handles 120 chars fine"

"I can fit 119"

"A post some time last year pointed at a ruleset using 120."

"120 is a good number."

"I'm fine with either 100 or 120."

"The 120 would be a dream come true"

"I feel very uncomfortable with changing the coding style."
and
"the new policy should have a historical background too. I would suggest to use
132 columns (DECwriter II)"

If we were a democracy the vote would be 120, but more African would be to
reach unanimous agreement: would anyone like to comment on / veto the choice of
changing the maximum permitted line width to 120 in the Osmocom projects?

~N