MS cannot connect; Location Update Request not received by BTS?

Holger Freyther holger at freyther.de
Tue Sep 27 17:50:52 UTC 2016

> On 27 Sep 2016, at 05:47, Bruce Smith <brucemate at mail.com> wrote:
>
> Greetings,

Dear Bruce,

I have never used osmo-trx/uhd or related with OpenBSC but in terms of figuring out what is broken let's have a look at the different components.

> There's a delay of ~10s at the line marked **** where the BTS seems to wait for a location update request from the MS; which never gets received, hence the BTS times out and releases the channel. Using a phone in diagnostic mode, this message appears to be sent correctly, however the BTS never receives/processes it.

So OpenBSC/osmo-nitb seems to work correctly. It doesn't "ignore" a message and it is just missing. My hypothesizes that you might have time to explore:

a.) osmo-trx not being able to decode the message?
b.) The osmo-bts-trx is not "receiving" data from osmo-trx?
c.) osmo-bts-trx not getting the LAPDm framing right?

> I've tried using older configuration files (which have worked with older builds), as well as the sample configuration files contained with each of the master branches, but to no differing effect.
>
> Given the MS can see and attempt to connect to the BTS, I'm assuming the transceiver chain is working correctly... my thoughts are that perhaps I've got some simple configuration set incorrectly somewhere along the way.
>

> libosmocore (master) - 2016-08-30
> libosmo-abis (master) - 2016-09-05
> libosmo-netif (master) - 2016-07-07
> openggsn (master) - 2016-06-05
> libosmo-sccp (master) - 2016-07-07
> openbsc (master) - 2016-09-05
> osmo-bts (master) - 2016-09-06
> osmo-pcu (master) - 2016-09-06
> osmo-trx (master) - 2016-08-11
> uhd_003.009.002-0

Could you downgrade your osmo-trx and osmo-bts to the 12+ months old version? The rest should work just fine and doesn't seem to have the issue. So my bet is either osmo-bts (a year ago you must have used a branch, now the refactored master branch is used) or osmo-trx?

holger