problems compiling for sysmobts

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Wed Oct 5 01:43:02 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I'd like to share my odd? interesting? unnerving? experience today.  All I
wanted to do is quickly check something (gerrit #713) on sysmobts, but I faced
a series of problems.

First some sysmobts related problems, later two problems entirely unrelated to
osmocom...

(*)
My sysmobts SDK no longer works: libosmo-abis now requires libortp >= 0.22.0,
but the SDK I have used so far doesn't have that:
poky-eglibc-i686-meta-toolchain-osmo-armv5te-toolchain-osmo-1.5.3-20160323112523.sh

(I didn't go through it in this sequence, but tried these things:)

a) tried to build a more recent libortp into the installed SDK. It goes fine up
to a point. It takes a bit of work to find and fetch all the repositories that
are required:
git://git.linphone.org/bcunit.git
git://git.linphone.org/bctoolbox.git
git://git.linphone.org/ortp.git
but sadly, bctoolbox wants libpolarssl aka mbedtls
git at github.com:ARMmbed/mbedtls.git
-- which has no automake/autoconf, only a plain Makefile! It also has cmake and
others, but so far I only know how to tell the ./configure script to
cross-compile and install into the SDK, so I kind of gave up on figuring out
cmake for that, for now.

b) just reverted the libortp version bumping commit in libosmo-abis
(15d9b7929d449e4138bcb003c614035bceadc3d1)
Everything compiles and works out, but alas, I get constant very weird
distortion/blip-tones/hickups on the voice channels, a bit of voice still
audible but definitely some bad codec problem. A regression? Is it related to
libortp?  This happens both for a TS config of TCH/H and TCH/F.

c) tried fetching a new SDK from 201310-testing/sdk:
poky-eglibc-i686-meta-toolchain-osmo-armv5te-toolchain-osmo-1.5.3-20160910200558.sh
This has the same problem with too old libortp. Again I revert the libortp
version bump from libosmo-abis. Same results as above: badly broken voice.

d) tried a new 1.5.4 SDK from 201310-nightly/sdk:
poky-eglibc-i686-meta-toolchain-osmo-armv5te-toolchain-osmo-1.5.4-20161004010024.sh
Here libosmo-abis is fine with the libortp it finds, so far so good.
Sadly, this doesn't even do hickuped voice, only low noise on both ends.
So I decided to go back to the SDK that worked for me last time to bisect.
I will post another mail in case I found a regression.

(*)
For half a minute there I wondered why GPRS wasn't working until I remembered
our two-phase-access aka WAIT_ASSIGN problem in osmo-pcu and reverted
f1a7b8fc. With that, GPRS works fine with all of the above. phew ;)

(*)
Entirely unrelated to osmocom: I launch my CN programs from a script that
launches multiple terminals. I happen to use rxvt-unicode for that and always
have for a year. Turns out this time urxvt strips the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
when it is invoked. I still don't know how this changed, but when I drop the
suid that I find for unknown reasons sitting on the urxvt binary's group
('chmod g-s /usr/bin/urxvt'), it lets the LD_LIBRARY_PATH be, and the binaries
run. How did this change from the last time I ran my CN scripts?? No idea.

(*)
Same with sudo: LD_LIBRARY_PATH now all of a sudden gets stripped during my
  sudo ggsn -f -c ggsn.conf
invocation. I use sudo for ggsn to allow establishing tunnels.  Again I didn't
change anything about my scripts, just today it doesn't find the libraries in
/usr/local/lib anymore. I have to manually add it like
  sudo LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib ggsn ...
but then sudo tells me I'm not allowed to set the env. After searching around,
I add 'SETENV:' to my sudoers file:
  neels   ALL= NOPASSWD:SETENV: /usr/local/bin/ggsn *
This time ggsn starts again like it always used to. How did this change from
last time I ran ggsn this way?? No idea at all.

So my quick test took a bit longer than expected (hasn't started),
and the night has progressed at an alarming rate...
I'll write again when I found anything on the broken voice.

~Neels

--
- Neels Hofmeyr <nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de>          http://www.sysmocom.de/
* Alt-Moabit 93