osmo-trx debian nightly builds fail due to uhd requirement

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Tue Nov 29 11:46:19 UTC 2016

Hi Tom,

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 09:32:41PM -0800, Tom Tsou wrote:
> Hi Harald,
>
> On Sun, Nov 27, 2016 at 11:45 PM, Harald Welte <laforge at gnumonks.org> wrote:
> > as osmo-trx has recently introduced a dependency on a super-recent
> > version of UHD (as opposed to what regular stable distributions ship),
> > the nightly debian builds are broken for both Debian 8.0 and Ubuntu
> > 14.04:
> > https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/network:osmocom:nightly/osmo-trx
>
> I bumped the UHD version dependency to 3.9.x because older versions of
> UHD are no longer maintained and osmo-trx was already dependent on
> 3.9.x for certain functionality (mainly multi-trx and improved
> timing). Build-time version checks were also causing user confusion.

It is sad that Ettus depreicates those versions that are shipped by the
major stable distributions.  This means that anyone basing their
projects or products on stable versions of those major distributions /
OS vendors will run into trouble.  I consider that quite questionable,
but it is of course not my call and there's nothing we can do about it.

> I understand the unwanted effects and dislike the idea of forcing
> users to move to more recent versions, however, Ettus Research does
> not recommend building against the shipping 3.5 and 3.7 UHD versions
> in Ubuntu 14.04 and Debian 8.0 respectively.

That's Ettus' decision.  However, when you introduce a dependency into
osmo-trx which breaks our official nightly package builds, I would argue
it is also your responsibility to resolved that in some way, or at least
to provide a solution to that problem :)

> Recommended UHD versions are found in Debian 8.0 Backports and Ubuntu
> 14.04 Ettus Research PPA.
>
>   https://packages.debian.org/jessie-backports/libuhd-dev
>   https://launchpad.net/~ettusresearch/+archive/ubuntu/uhd-3.9.lts

Do you know how to add that dependency on external binary package repos
to OBS?  Or do we have to re-build the soruce packages as part of the
OBS build?  Would you be taking care of this if we provide you with the
respective privileges on the osmocom OBS build?