Roadmap for OpenBSC

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Mon Nov 21 23:05:19 UTC 2016

Hi Kristian,

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 10:19:45PM +0100, Kristian Martens wrote:
> I have seen that it is planned to implement the full AoIP stack for a
> standalone OpenBSC. Do have any idea by when this feature could be ready
> to use?

There are some ideas and abstract plans at this point, yes.  Primarily
right now we are analyzing the steps that need to be taken once/if
somebody decides to commit the required resources to actually
implementing it.  Resources could come either in form of developer
contributions by interetsed parties, or in terms of funding.

So if you have certain requirements or even some idas about how to
achieve 3GPP AoIP compatibility in the OpenBSC code base, by all menas
let us know and discuss it here and/or in the redmine.

I'm sorry I have to say this, but I'm increasingly frustrated by people
(particularly from commercial entities) asking about features, support,
stability, roadmap and the like - but at the same time most of those
companies/entities have no history whatsoever of contributing to the
OpenBSC and related projects.

Please do not take this personally or directed towards your organization
in any way,  I'm just expressing my general dissatisfaction with what I
see as a very "consumer - producer" related attitude by numerous people
who contact us on-list or by private mail.

Free / Open Source Software needs to be developed and maintained like
any other software, and that effort must be shared by at least most
significant benficiaries in some way.  Yet, we currently see something
like 80% of commits comming from a very small group of people at
sysmocom.  This is not healthy for any FOSS project.

We need more contributions from a variety of entities and individuals.
Once upon a time there was a time when there were more diverse
developers / contributors to OpenBSC than now.

Sorry once again for hijacking your request in this way.  I'm trying to
speak to the general audience on this list (and beyond).  Thanks for
your understanding.

So to get back to your original question in temsof 'when it could b
ready'?  Open Source projects are almost always too late in the market.
They start because somebody has a need that he cannot address otherwise.

So it is not investment by a large corporation based on market
prediction trying to build a product at the time the market is expected
to exist.

Rather, it is perpetual catching-up, based on whenever a sufficient
number of developers/contributors commit what is required to get it
done.

So to be honest, I have no idea if and when it will be
implemented.  However, you can be part of the people that define that
time :)