naming contest: gsm_network, gsm_subscriber_connection

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Fri Nov 11 11:50:01 UTC 2016

Hi all,

for a bit of bikeshed fun on the side, I'd like to ask your opinions on a good
name.

The background: we're in the process of separating libmsc from libbsc. Both use
the structs gsm_network and gsm_subscriber_connection, and both of these
structs contain elements that are used only by libbsc or only by libmsc,
besides the elements that are used by both. So at some point I will "split"
both of these in two, to have a BSC and an MSC version thereof.

How should we name them?

struct gsm_network
(note, if there is a common part, that could still be named 'gsm_network')

--> bsc_network / msc_network
    looks familiar but the meaning of the name is lost

--> gsm_bsc / gsm_msc

--> osmo_bsc / osmo_msc
    To me these would be the best and the names are still available, but there
    are header files named like this and the osmo-bsc binary also has a very
    similar name. I think I would go for these anyway.
    +1

--> osmo_gsm_bsc / osmo_gsm_msc
    As alternative, but the gsm is a bit out of place (particularly in the
    light of a UMTS MSC).

struct gsm_subscriber_connection

--> bsc_subscriber_connection / msc_subscriber_connection
    but we could use the opportunity to shorten the name

--> bsc_subscr_conn / msc_subscr_conn
    I like these best; but add osmo?
    +1

--> osmo_bsc_subscr_conn / osmo_msc_subscr_conn
    almost the old length.

Happy shedding, "+1" comments and/or opinions welcome

~Neels

--
- Neels Hofmeyr <nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de>          http://www.sysmocom.de/
* Alt-Moabit 93