estimate distance

Max msuraev at sysmocom.de
Fri Nov 4 11:57:07 UTC 2016

Yes, you're right.

RXL (RXLEV) is [0..63] which codes signal level (0 is weakest)
RXQ (RXQUAL) is [0..7] which codes BER (Bit Error Rate) level (0 is least errors)

So RXLEV measures the radio signal quality (how much interference our signal suffered) while RXQUAL measures errors in decoded signal (how much useful info we've managed to extract from signal). Both are estimation of how good is the radio link between MS and BTS using different definition of what "good" is.

And -FULL and -SUB just defines when those measurements are done by MS (in case of DTX there are periods of no transmission so there's nothing to measure).

Overall, this is even worse way to estimate distance than TA - MS standing next to powerful electric motor with lots of of EM leak in the vicinity of BTS will get worse RX* measurements than MS which is far away but in nice clean EM environment.

See 3GPP TS 45.008 for lots of details.

Overall, for getting the distance (as well as actual position) we got
RRLP protocol which I think is the way to go for location data.

--
Max Suraev <msuraev at sysmocom.de> http://www.sysmocom.de/
* Alt-Moabit 93