estimate distance

Max msuraev at sysmocom.de
Thu Nov 3 09:14:44 UTC 2016

Regarding TA: it's very approximate measure of distance:

1) it's not yet implemented the way it should - see
https://projects.osmocom.org/issues/1545 for example

2) Increase in TA +1 approximately equals to increase of +550 meters
distance between phone and BS (1 bit period = 3.69 usec times speed of
light)

3) There's guard period (8.25 for normal bursts) between transmissions
which allows it not to overlap with next one so even the phone with
incorrect TA might still work with BTS to some extend.

--
Max Suraev <msuraev at sysmocom.de> http://www.sysmocom.de/
* Alt-Moabit 93