Gerrit and branches (Was: Re: libosmocore: patch for big-endian architectures)

Holger Freyther holger at freyther.de
Mon May 30 11:56:08 UTC 2016

> On 30 May 2016, at 12:39, Neels Hofmeyr <nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de> wrote:
>

> My humble opinion for the last time: gerrit has overly complicated nearly every
> aspect of working on the code. The web ui is bloated and cumbersome to
> navigate, and every commit and push needs goofy hacks just for gerrit :(

Can you elaborate? What are the goofy hacks? There is the sign-up (but compared to two days of SSL issues to submit emails) OpenID + username + setting ssh key is more quick? And then to download the hook to generate a Change-Id on commits?

> It does add handy features of tracking patches and managing reviews, yet it
> kind of removes the concept of patch-set grouping. Of course, the integrated
> jenkins build is excellent to have (though would be sufficient after pushing).

The main advantages for a reviewer:

	* I don't have to look at stuff that doesn't compile
	* I don't have to see if I need to download the mbox or the patch
	* I can easily submit the resulting change

In fact reviewing has been more pleasant for me than before (besides the pain of having to wrangle with Java and doing a FreeBSD port of buck to build and debug it)

> I submit to the community's decision to use gerrit, and I don't think it would
> be worth the trouble to switch yet again (if I'm the only one moaning), but I
> wouldn't introduce gerrit a second time.

For patch-series: Either way, sending a 40 patches en-block is not well received. This wouldn't be any better with git dump-email. ;)

> End-Of-Rant for all eternity ;)

Besides the smiley I think you could have been more constructive, e.g you have admin rights and shell access to the system and I have already pointed you to the "Submit Type" in the project settings. Did you have a look at it to see if for your workflow we are using the wrong "type"?

In osmo-sip-connector.git I changed from cherry-oick to always merge (probably fast-forward is closer to what we want in our change history) and pushed two changes. The last patch can be seen here https://gerrit.osmocom.org/#/c/127/1.

It shows "Related changes" for both of them and for the second (and probably third) it has "Submitted Together" that shows my entire "series". After +2/+1 on them I have a button called "Submit including parents".

Is this closer to what you want? I have picked "Cherry Pick" as many times there is a patch series but only a few commits are actually ready to be merged. To reduce work it seemed good to accept the raisins more quickly.

cheers
	holger