Closing the gap between official debian and our nightly builds

Ruben Undheim ruben.undheim at gmail.com
Thu May 26 19:07:41 UTC 2016

> In regard to symbols files when and how to update it? Can you point me to the docs for that?

I use:
  dpkg-gensymbols -plibname0 -Odebian/libname0.symbols -q
after building the package.

Then I open up the generated file debain/libname0.symbols and remove the debian
suffix from the version number ("-1"). See "man dpkg-gensymbols". There might
be easier ways also that I'm not aware of.

> > I don't have a total overview of the backwards incompatible discrepancies. I probably should have, but hopefully there aren't too many.
>
> It's okay, we can have a flag day once if we keep compat after.

Since I've based the Debian packages on your work (for those you had done back
then), there should not really be that much difference, so upgrades should
probably go smoothly. We should also be able to make the transition completely
smooth using "dependencies" and "conflicts" correctly, if there are any issues.

> Okay, but it would be somehow nice if our descriptions will not drift too much and we re-use the same parts? Can you agree to that?

Whenever integrating a new upstream release, I do a diff with the previous
version. This is mainly to see if any copyright information has changed, but I
will also spot changes to the packaging, and therefore the descriptions. I do
of course agree to keep it in sync.

> finally! I never understood (okay compats) why so many packages don't have a -dbg(sym). Should -dbgsym packages be listed on https://packages.debian.org/source/sid/openbsc? So even when going to a mirror I don't see a -dbgsym package next to the other packages? Does one need to raise the compat version for it?

One of the reasons mentioned for implementing automatic -dbgsym packages was to
prevent waste of disk space on mirrors, so the -dbgsym can be found on some
separate servers only and not on every mirror. You'll have to add it explicitly
to /etc/apt/sources.list

> > The extra debian dir is no problem. As said above, it will be overwritten automatically by the build tools when building the package. To move forward: we just pull interesting stuff from each other's debian dir. However, it may make sense to pull some things out of the debian dir and into the main source tree - for instance the man pages.
>
> Where would you put them? Makefile.am and install them? Shall we use asciidoc to generate manpages?

Hmm. I don't really have a strong opinion. Both  man/  and  doc/man  should do
fine. If you add it to the Makefile or not, doesn't really matter. I've used
txt2man to generate them, since it takes as input an easy human readable text
file format.  txt2man is a one-file GPL-2 licensed shell script. As long as it
dumps out proper man pages, it should be fine.

I hope to get the osmo-bts formal stuff done soon, so it can get uploaded, and
then everything for a base station will be available in the official archive!

Cheers,
Ruben