Closing the gap between official debian and our nightly builds

Holger Freyther holger at freyther.de
Tue May 24 21:41:36 UTC 2016

Dear Ruben,

I wonder if you could give us/me a hand in closing the gap between the official packages. In general we are willing to drop backwards compatibility with our install base to reach Debian standards. Ideally a user can easily upgrade from a Debian version to our nightly builds and you and other debian developers can hopefully easily take our source packages and move them forward as well.

Do you have experience with upstream making their own debian packages and a proper package being included in debian as well?

Shall I create tickets in our osmocom.org redmine to coordinate synchronization? Are you aware of different sysv init script names, paths for config/hlr files, package names?

From a very brief look:

+ We never handled the .copyright files correctly you do
+ debian/control you have nice short and long terms descriptions we should have
+ You have patches for typos and other parts (i have pushed the ggsn one and will go through the patches later)
+ Your have manpages and we never bothered with it. I think it is a really good debian rule (and good Unix legacy to force a manpage for binaries in /usr!)
- At least for OpenBSC you do not seem to package the -dbg symbols. As a developer I am always annoyed (e.g. with sofia sip) when I can't install the debug symbols.
- You seem to not include sysvinit (and systemd) service files?

Do you have a proposal on how we could move forward? How do you manage/maintain the extra debian/ directory?

kind regards
	holger